Hey everyone!
Thanks for tuning in again! It's been another great week!
Teen Group sunday was so fantastic! It was a lot bigger than the previous week and all of the teens were so fired up! Be prepared for a ton of video and pictures, because it was just a blast.
We started off the night by playing a game where the teens were split up into 4 groups and had to race each other down the hallway on these little scooter things in relay-like fashion. Also, they had to retrieve flamingos! It was hilarious! The adults stood against the wall to be the cheerleaders. I attempted to include a video, so cross your fingers that it works!
![]() |
| Katelyn Lorenz and Kylie Von Runnen! |
![]() |
| Crystal Machuca! |
After our game, we had some great worship time. Guys, let me just tell you, There's nothing like seeing young people fired up for God. I also took a video, because I love videos. And what better way to tell you about the experiences than to show you?
We had a time for Ryan Plauche (Youth Pastor of the Northeast Church in Denton) to deliver a message. This summer, our Youth Ministers are speaking from a book called So, You Want To Be Like Christ? by Charles R. Swindoll. It's an awesome book with really great key areas to focus on. I would highly recommend it. Ryan spoke about one area in particular on Sunday, Simplicity. We did an activity where we just sat still for 5 minutes and wrote down all of our thoughts. We really realized just how cluttered our minds are. He really hit home that simplicity and a simple life is normally seen as a negative thing, but it's not. It's simply being of one purpose and focusing on one thing. We can't aim well at Jesus through a cluttered mind. He ended with 6 practices to help us unclutter our minds. We then did another activity where we all spent 5 minutes intentionally thinking about Psalm 1. It was really great and I hope that the teens got a lot out of it! Of Course, we all went out to Taco Bell afterwards and continued fellowshipping!
![]() | |
| Ryan's Sermon |
Intern Classes have been going so great! We memorized the Beattitudes and talked about them in depth on Monday with Ronnie. It was so enlightening. I really want to highlight some of the ideas that stood out to me. I had never really thought about what "Blessed are those who mourn" meant. But Ronnie really impacted me when he said that mourning isn't being sad. It can be, but Mourning is the opposite of apathetic and lukewarm. It just means that you care. He also made a really neat point to tie all of the beattitudes together. Because, ultimately, They are the characteristics of Christ. They all do go together. He really connected the dots between poor in spirit and mourning for me when he said,
"Until you are empty of yourself and full of Christ, you can't care about others the way that God does."
There's so many more profound ideas that I got from the beattitudes that I wish I could share with you. But then this post would be dreadfully long. If you are interested in what some of the other great ideas are or what I'm thinking lately, feel free to ask or call! I would love to talk about it! If you haven't read through The Beattitudes (Matthew 5:3-10) before or it's been awhile, I would definitely suggest you go do that. There's always something new to ponder on there. We also took some time in Ronnie's class to read the first chapter of Mark and discuss Jesus style ministry. It's so simple, yet so enlightening. Try it sometime. Just pick a chapter from a gospel, read it, and ask yourself, "What does this tell me about how Jesus did ministry?" I promise that you'll get answers like we did, such as He's compassionate, always willing to help, very direct, not the typical "nice guy," He seeks time with God, firm, relational, inviting, humble... etc. This list could go on literally forever. I mean, just thinking about it gives me immense joy, How great is our God?
Often times in our classes, I find that my favorite ideas aren't the product of something Ronnie or John said, but come from my fellow interns. In John's class we are reading a book about simplifying your life, and this week we focused on making a God-first Schedule. Something from the book was really powerful to me, it said something like, What would your schedule look like if God was in charge of it? Matt, a fellow intern, shared something that has stuck with me in a powerful way, one of his mentor's David Parker outright asked him one day as a teen himself:
"If you're not serving God with your time, then who are you serving?"
Matt told us that David proceeded to answer for him, "Either yourself or the devil." John's class was just super impactful this week. An idea I took away that I just love is that you schedule can be a tool that you use, not the other way around. Don't become a slave to your schedule. Bill Hybels put it this way in the book: It's not about what you've got to get done, it's about who you want to become.
On Tuesday of this week, we took the teens to see Jurassic world!! It was so fun! We all talked about it all the way home. It was neat to just get to bond with the teens and have fun with them.
![]() |
| Our Jurassic World group! |
Raquel and I are planning on getting a small group together to take a couple girls thrift shopping next week and we're really excited about it! Please keep this time in your prayers and pray that this time together can produce meaning conversation and that these girls will see how much we love them.
I'll leave you with a quote from John Von Runnen, from our class on Wednesday!
Mercedes
"The echo of what we do in our ministry, in any ministry, is felt throughout eternity."




No comments:
Post a Comment